Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
*Updated on August 4th, 2021
As the holidays are coming up, we’re all spending time looking for items to put on our gift shopping list – or perhaps our personal wish list. Sustainable and ethical vegan fashion has been becoming increasingly popular in recent years and makes for high-quality gifts which can be appreciated for a long time to come.
In this sustainable and ethical vegan gift guide for the vegan fashionista, we’ve put together some of our absolute favorites, as well as some tips for things to consider when shopping from other brands.
When shopping for vegan clothing that is made sustainably and ethically, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, the easiest one to check is avoiding animal-based materials such as leather, wool, cashmere, or fur. Nowadays, you’ll almost always find information on materials in the product description or, if buying in-store, on the tag. If you don’t see it and the brand doesn’t disclose what materials they’re using elsewhere, it’s probably best to stay away.
But how do you check if a company is making its clothing ethically and sustainably? We recommend looking for transparency, proof, and certification.
A company with little information about their social and environmental impact on their website, or one that makes broad wishy-washy statements without supporting them by facts, is likely greenwashing. This is the term used to refer to brands that give off an environmentally friendly image without actually doing any of the work and, in the end, are very bad for the environment and society. Avoid these and look for brands that give detailed, factual information.
One other way to ensure genuine sustainability and ethics benefits is to watch out for labels and certifications such as organic or Fairtrade, which set a high standard.
Our favorites Vegan Approved Fashion:
- Wrap Top Jumpsuit by Tonle – $110, shipping internationally from the US
- Stylized Feather Sleeveless Jumpsuit in Black + Cream by Symbology – $140, shipping internationally from the US
- Blayze Wide-Leg Pants by Kindom – $143, shipping internationally from the US
- Petra Shirt Dress Linen Black by Neu Nomads – €167, shipping internationally from the US
The majority of what we said about clothing brands can be applied to vegan fashion footwear brands – however, as most footwear is made from leather and its alternatives, things get a little more complicated. The two main alternatives to leather are PVC or PU – two types of plastic. While PVC is very environmentally harmful (Greenpeace has dubbed it the single most environmentally damaging plastic), PU is much more sustainable than both PVC and animal-based leather.
However, it is still not the best possible solution. The best possible solution is plant-based leathers made from vegetable or fruit materials, such as pineapple leather (Pinatex), apple leather, corn leather, and more. Look out for those when shopping!
- Ziggy Tall Platform Boots by Bhava Studio – $325, shipping internationally from the US
- Heeled Knee High Boots by Wills Vegan Shoes – £95, shipping internationally from the UK
- Fearne Gold Tumbled Faux Leather Vegan High Block Heels by Beyond Skin – $302, shipping internationally from the UK
- Dita Ankle Strap Pumps by Bhava – $195, shipping internationally from the US
There are many different vegan-approved, sustainable, and ethically made accessories to choose from. One reason why they make such a good ethical gift is that you don’t need to know the size of the person you’re gifting it to, which also decreases the need for returns (lowering our carbon footprint).
Due to the variety of materials accessories can be made from, watch out for any that have been mentioned in the previous two sections. Also, be on the lookout for factual support for sustainable and ethical claims or labels.
- Crochet Love Bracelet by vireChic – $7.24, shipping internationally from Brazil
- The Anna Vegan Crossbody by Ash & Rose – $48, shipping internationally from the US
- Grey Quinn Mini Backpack by Madison Grace – $89, US shipping
- Aurora Diamond Drop Earrings by Joie De Viv – $799, US shipping
We hope this sustainable and ethical gift guide with a focus on vegan fashion was helpful! Let us know in the comments which products are your favorites or share your tips with others.
Looking for more?